What I Did During the Pandemic
Technically, the pandemic isn't over, but I'm considering my personal pandemic over - I am fully vaccinated! I can travel and see friends and family, now!
I thought I would list what I remember accomplishing during my person pandemic, between March 12, 2020, the last day I went to the office to work, and yesterday, April 29, 2021 the first day I could be considered fully vaccinated.
Ran a 5k in a new personal time after extensive training throughout March 2020 and September 2020 when the North Hills 5K took place
Visited the Eno River Confluence Area for a 2 mile hike
After 16 year hiatus, relearned how to ride a bike, and rode just over 100 miles throughout the summer of 2020. I also walked 182 miles and ran 120 miles.
Completed projects like Exercise Every Day in August 2020, Photo a Day Challenge from April to June of 2020, and was able to continue daily posting from August 2019 to August 2020.
Compiled and edited a Gluten free cookbook after months of reading other cookbooks and trying many recipes. It also required skills like understanding the recipe and what to adjust, photographing the finished dishes, understanding lighting, learning photo editing, consider page layout and editing the recipes, and learning how to use software to put the book together! It was a huge process, but highly enjoyable. I likely put 100 hours or more over several months.
I had a container garden in 2020, where I planted cherry tomatoes, green onions, parsley, jalapeno peppers, chamomile, mint, and serrano peppers.
This year I cut back, and only planted parsley, jalapeno peppers and cowhorn peppers.
Read these books, and am only counting ones I finished:
- Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg
- Make the Bread, Buy the Butter by Jennifer Reese
- The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander
- The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander
- The Castle of Llyr by Lloyd Alexander
- Taran Wanderer by Lloyd Alexander
- The High King by Lloyd Alexander
- The Foundling by Lloyd Alexander
- Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings
- Queen of Sorcery by David Eddings
- Magician's Gambit by David Eddings
- Castle of Wizardry by David Eddings
- Enchanters' End Game by David Eddings
- Cooked by Michael Pollan
- Smart Couples Finish Rich by David Bach
- The Automatic Millionaire by David Bach
- The Simple Path to Wealth by JL Collins
- The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley
- The Next Millionaire Next Door by Thomas Stanley and Sarah Stanley Farrow
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich by Ramit Sethi
- What Wall Street Doesn't Want You To Know by Larry Swedroe
- A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel
- Rainbow's End by Vernor Vinge
- Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C Clarke
- Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams
- Minecraft: The Island by Max Brooks
- Success is 90% Spite by Jane Zei
- Bad Arguments by Ali Almossawi and Alejandro Giraldo
- SSIS 24 Hour Trainer by Brian Knight
- I Won't Be Coming Into Work Because You're All Dickheads by David Thorne
- A Beautifully Foolish Endeavor by Hank Green
- An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green
- Catalyst by Amanda Quintenz-Fiedler (and then wrote a review for it)
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C Bogle
- Indistractable by Nir Eyal
- The Art of Happiness by the Dalai Lama and Howard C. Cutler, MD
- Shortest Way Home by Pete Buttigieg
Built a web responsive website over at lauraqjohnson.com
Cooked ambitious recipes like Gourgeres, Salmon with Golden Rice, Balsamic Mushroom and Bacon Pasta, bread without yeast, Chicken Paprikash, Chocolate Truffles, Hokkaido Milk Bread, General Tso's Chicken, Spicy Honey Chicken, Jalapeno Popper Chicken, Tamagoyaki eggs, Korean Beef Rice Bowl, Shio Ramen, Roasted Whole Turkey, make Turkey Pie with leftovers, Cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries, Spice Cake - which were all done before the Gluten Free cookbook project.
Played Minecraft to the end, where you kill the dragon!
I reviewed Aldi's 2020 Beer Advent Calendar
Learned about SIBO and switched diet to FODMAP for a while
Played these games (not to completion for some):
- Don't Starve
- Castle Panic
- Cat Crimes
- Ticket to Ride
- One Deck Dungeon
- Guinness World Records
- T.I.M.E. Stories
- Bard's Tale
- Dungeons and Dragons basics
- Master Mind
- Andor (5 scenarios)
- Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion (18 scenarios)
- Connect Four
- Super Mario Brothers 64
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- Elder Scrolls Oblivion
I'm certain that I'm missing some activities, but I'm pleased with what I remembered/took notes on so I wouldn't forget!